Tuesday, January 11, 2011

I felt it - perfect. I was perfect.


I have something to admit. When I first watched the trailer for Black Swan I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Natalie Portman, as a ballerina. She has every characteristic in the book to fill the prototype of a ballerina; elegant, poised, and stunningly gorgeous. However, I don't know if I totally bought into her portrayal. I also couldn't believe that Mila Kunis, of 'That 70's Show' fame, was playing Portman's alter ego. After viewing the trailer, I had my hesitations, but overall I was genuinely excited to see it.

The hype was growing around this film with every passing day. So, Dave, his twin brother Joe and I went to see it at the Varsity theater in downtown Toronto, VIP baby. If you ever see that your movie is available in VIP, you should definitely take advantage of this. The service is unimaginable. It is provided to 19+ only, allowing you to order alcohol. Also providing in seat service, private washrooms and a theater that only seated about 30 people. Very cozy to say the least.

I settled in, and thought "holy shit! what have I gotten myself into." To say that Black Swan took me on the wildest ride of my cinema life, is a complete understatement. Visually captivating, opulent writing, and superb acting drew me in so quick I felt haunted by the end of it. I literally could not speak after the film. I was so scared because Natalie Portman's portrayal of Nina was technically sublime. So much so, I actually felt like she must have become clinically insane by the end of the production. Black Swan stirred something in me, I was sweating with fright. I saw a little of Nina's character in myself. Wanting something so badly, that it drives you crazy.

Darren Aronofsky, the director of Black Swan, has done it again. He's changed my life. A couple of years ago, I was fortunate to see one of his films for the very first time. The Fountain, a film about love, life, and death. This film made me realize that life is never what it seems.

So if you go to see Black Swan, expect surprises. Because, boy was I surprised by it. And if you have the time, you should also see some of Aronofsky's other work (i.e. The Fountain, Requiem For A Dream and The Wrestler.)



No comments :

Post a Comment